30 Flash Fiction Prompts

Need a little mid-winter inspiration? Try one of these flash fiction prompts:

1: Write a story in which something transforms into something else.

2: Write a true story that is so ___________(insert adjective here) that no one would believe it’s true. But it is.

3: Find a story you’ve written that isn’t quite working. Chop it down to exactly 100 words. Give it a new title.

4: Write a story that is based in or uses elements of mythology–any mythology from any culture or time period.

5: Bibliomancy–open the dictionary to any random page, place your finger on any random word and poof! That is the title (or part of the title) of your next story.

6: Write a story from the point of view of someone much older than you.

7: Write a story about or featuring a body part. (Heads out of the gutters, people, there are other body parts!)

8: Write a secret, preferably one you think no one could relate to.

9: Write a story in which something important is lost.

10: Use a dream or pieces of a dream to create a surreal, alter-reality story.

11: Find a story of yours that’s not quite working. WITHOUT rereading it (this is key), rewrite it from scratch, letting it morph as necessary. Then compare the two and blend to taste.

12: Write a story that begins with, and consists mostly of, dialogue.

13: Write a story that deals with or includes some aspect of a taboo.

14: Write a story that has happened to you but write it from another person’s point of view.

15: Write a story that involves a reoccurring and/or deep dark fear.

16: Write a story that’s happened to someone else, but write it as if it happened to you.

17: Write a story that has some reference to a current event.

18: Write a story that involves an animal.

19: Write a story in which you spill a secret, yours or someone else’s. Disguise as necessary.

20: Write a story that takes place in an empty landscape.

21: Rewrite a scene from history.

22: Write a story that involves time travel.

23: Write a story that contains at least three of these elements: body lice, gasoline, a Hostess product, a childhood hero, an outdated slang expression, a song title or your favorite flavor.

24: Write a story that contains elements of a real holiday memory.

25: Write a story that takes place over breakfast.

26: Write a story that includes a humiliation, real or invented.

27: Write a story that involves a celebrity.

28: Write a story in which the impossible is now possible.

29: Revisit a story you’ve written. Count the words. Now reduce the word count by half.

30:  Write a story with a theme of “The End.”

Advertisements

29 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Trackback: Flash Fiction Thursday–Retaliation | Creative Destruction
  2. Trackback: Fiction Friday #26 – Drift, revised. | her name was cassandra
  3. Trackback: Flash Fiction | DCTdesigns Creative Canvas
  4. elainecanham
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 11:56:10

Hi Nancy, Thanks for the prompts. I’m going to use them with my creative writing class tomorrow (if that’s ok) (I’ll put your link on the handout)

5. nancystohlman
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 15:57:51

I’d be honored!

6. Trackback: Writing: Flash Fiction Challenges Begin | Bonnie Sparks Writes
  7. Trackback: Flash! A-ah! Savior of the Universe | Thoughts of a Lost Limey
  8. Trackback: the gauntlet | Rosey Waters
  9. nancystohlman
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 15:10:38

Woohoo!

10. Trackback: Settings and Senses | The Writingwolf: Words and Wonders
  11. Trackback: At Home: One More Flash Fiction Story | Claudette J. Young At Home
  12. Trackback: Writing Flash Fiction | kristabresnahan
  13. Trackback: Flash Fiction: What is it? | greenquillpublishing
  14. Trackback: How to Write Flash Fiction | FICTION BY PHOENIX
  15. Trackback: Microfiction Monday: Head out of the Gutter | Chrissey's Great Escape
  16. bookie93
    Oct 29, 2015 @ 23:25:39

Hi Ms. Stohlman. I am using your blog sit in my blog that I am doing for a class. This blog is about how to unblock writer’s block using the internet and social media. I searched for Flash Fiction prompts and your blog came up. I hope that this is ok? I will link it back to you.

17. K.C. Mead-Brewer
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 00:50:57

Reblogged this on Writing Reconsidered.

18. nancystohlman
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 01:07:06

Love reblogging and pinging–thanks for linking back to me!

19. Emogyn Lee
    Mar 23, 2016 @ 19:28:42

Wow! These ideas are great! My favorite is number 23! Haha! They helped me get my own ideas turning to find a great idea for my flash fiction story in my poetry and fiction class. Thanks!!

20. Charlotte A
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 08:39:55

Reblogged this on Bad Ambience.

21. Trackback: Prompt: A Roll of the Dice | Writers in the Grove
  22. nancystohlman
    May 17, 2016 @ 23:09:49

Fantastic!

23. nancystohlman
    May 17, 2016 @ 23:10:08

Thank you!

24. nancystohlman
    May 17, 2016 @ 23:10:24

Thank you!

25. marymtf
    May 31, 2016 @ 05:44:34

It’s not the ideas so much, but cutting down the stories. It’s a bit like Mickey in the sorcerer’s apprentice. The more Mickey mopped up the more water he had to get rid of. My drafts are a bit like that. Lovely list, though. 🙂

26. nancystohlman
    Jun 27, 2016 @ 19:31:25

Ha! Great visual, Marymtf! You should think about joining me for my Sculpting Flash Fiction workshop–I’ll help you do some mopping. Wink.

27. Trackback: 9 Ways to Vanquish Procrastination and Conquer Your Writing Goals | The Moonlighting Writer
  28. chrisbuchananwrites
    Jan 18, 2017 @ 21:29:03

Reblogged this on Chris Buchanan writes.

29. Trackback: Microfiction: Head out of the Gutter – Chrissey Harrison